I was upgrading an environment (MOSS version 22.214.171.12415) in the following manner:
- Check all Timer jobs have run to completion in the existing environment
- Check no errors with WSP
- Install WSS v3 SP1 Patch (Skip Configuration wizard)
- Install MOSS 2007 SP1 Patch (Skip Configuration wizard)
- Install WSS v3 infrastructure Patch (Skip Configuration wizard)
- Install MOSS 2007 infrastructure Patch
- Following the prompts for the Configuration Wizard (PSconfigUI).
Okay, so far so good.
In the middle of the configuration wizard, it seemed to have stayed on Step 5 for hours. Looking at the Event Viewer, errors with messages:
“Content index on Search could not be initialized. Error The content index is corrupt. 0xc0041800.Component: bd72df39-396a-472f-8a1a-db6c3241e922”
Checking Upgrade.log (in 12\Logs\), unveiled some Exception errors.
So then I cancelled out of the setup (which took a while to cancel – actually it didn’t cancel until I ran the following command), and ran the following command to force the upgrade of the SharePoint environment:
psconfig -cmd upgrade -force
Checked the version numbers and the existing sites I had - That seemed to have fixed my issues
Alternatively, the stsadm utility can be used (though I didn't have to use it):
stsadm -o upgrade -forceupgrade
For more details on this command:
Upgrade: Stsadm operation (Windows SharePoint Services)
Upgrade: Stsadm operation (Office SharePoint Server)
Command-line reference for the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard (Office SharePoint Server)
Install Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 by using the command line