This is the N-the time I’ve had to rename a SharePoint server, and every time I keep on forgetting the exact steps… so these are notes for the (Technical) me.
- Change each alternate access mapping for MOSS 2007/WSSv3 deployment in Central Admin reflecting new server name
- Register the change with SharePoint, using:
stsadm -o renameserver -newservername <newname> -oldservername <oldname>
- Rename server in Windows
- Restart server
- Post restart, update SharePoint farm credentials using:
stsadm -o updatefarmcredentials -userlogin <domain\domainuser> -password <password>
- Run an iisreset
- Check the accounts used in application pools within IIS, update to reflect new machine name accounts
- Rebuild the search index (remove and recreate)
- Operation Complete!